What is the Neighbourhood Watch Scheme?
Neighbourhood Watch is a Crime Prevention Strategy where...
- you and other members of your Community observe and report suspicious / criminal activity in your own locality
- Gardaí provide advice to you about crime prevention techniques such as:
- how to make your home less inviting to criminals
- how to make your personal property less desirable to thieves
- how to be alert to suspicious activity in your own area
Neighbourhood Watch is not...
- patrolling the streets. The Gardaí do not encourage individuals to take the law into their own hands
- working for the Gardaí. Crime is Community problem. The Neighbourhood Watch Scheme is designed to encourage you and other members of your Community to become involved in the prevention of crime.
It is the function of the Garda Síochána to maintan Law and Order on the streets. They're your streets; you can help.
- does not require frequent meetings
- does not ask anyone to take personal risks to prevent crime
- leaves the responsibility for apprehending criminals where it belongs - with the Garda Síochána